Aventura OB/GYN Advanced Care in North Miami, Florida offers an array of gynecological services to meet the needs of women of all ages. As a dedicated, board-certified gynecologist, Dr. Remberto Santos is here to diagnose and treat any health condition or meet any personal women’s health needs that may arise, such as:
Abnormal Pap Smear
The purpose of a Pap smear is to collect and examine cells from your cervix. It is important for detecting issues, such as the development of cervical cancer before they become problematic. Annual Pap smear testing should start when a female becomes sexually active or after age 20.
Uterine fibroids are non-cancerous growths that occur in many women and are a possible cause of heavy menstrual bleeding. Depending on the severity of your condition, treatment may include medication or surgical removal of the fibroids.
Testing for osteoporosis is an important way to prevent future problems and to get advice about lifestyle changes that can prevent issues.
Cysts must be found and treated as soon as possible, as a ruptured cyst can be both painful and dangerous. Treatment options include birth control pills to establish regular menstrual cycles and prevent cyst formation, or surgery to remove the cyst.
Sexual dysfunction may be characterized by:
- Reduced sex drive
- A strong dislike of sex
- Difficulty becoming aroused
- Inability to achieve orgasm
- Pain during intercourse
Dr. Santos offers the latest treatments and therapies to resolve any health-related sexual problems you might be experiencing
Vaginal or Vulvar Problems
Vaginitis is inflammation of the vagina. It is a very common condition among women. In fact, there are over 3 million cases of vaginitis in the U.S. every year.
Vaginitis is usually caused by an infection, a change in the normal balance of vaginal bacteria, or reduced estrogen levels after menopause. Symptoms may include itching or irritation, an unusual vaginal discharge, painful urination, and pain during intercourse. The most common types of vaginitis include bacterial vaginosis, yeast infection, and trichomoniasis.
With medication that treats the underlying cause, vaginitis can be resolved within days
Women today have many options when it comes to birth control, including:
- Hormonal: Estrogen/progesterone combination birth control pills are the most common form of birth control.
- Non-Hormonal: Condoms, diaphragms, the Sponge, and IUDs are common nonhormonal options. An IUD is effective for ten years.
- Nexplanon®: This upper-arm implant provides contraception for nearly three years. It releases a low steady dose of progestin to prevent pregnancy. Nexplanon does not contain estrogen.
- Depo-Provera® injections: Administered every three months, these suppress ovulation, keeping your ovaries from releasing an egg.
- Permanent Options: Vasectomy for men, tubal ligation for women, and Essure® are procedures for permanent contraception.
This is a procedure to remove a woman’s uterus, either partially or completely. In some cases, the fallopian tubes and ovaries may also be removed. Removing the uterus means that a woman no longer has menstrual periods and can no longer become pregnant. Hysterectomy may be performed to treat
- Uterine fibroids
- Endometriosis (when tissue that is supposed to line the uterus wall begins to grow elsewhere, leading to severe pain and bleeding)
- Cancer of the uterus, ovary, cervix, or endometrium
- Uterine prolapse (the uterus slips from its proper place down into the vagina, leading to urinary and bowel problems)
n the U.S., about 500,000 women a year get hysterectomies, making it the second most
common surgery among women in the country. The procedure can be performed in multiple
ways, including laparoscopic and robotic surgery.
Procedures Performed In-Office
- Evaluation and treatment of the
- Cervical biopsy
- Sterilization via Essure®
Other gynecological conditions and services addressed by Dr. Santos at Aventura OB/GYN Advanced Care include:
For more information about our gynecology services or to schedule an appointment, please contact us at (305) 931-7960
12550 Biscayne Blvd, Suite Ph 906
North Miami, Florida 33181
Email: [email protected]